|Picture from www.solar1.org|
I am thankful for this Earth, and I want to do my part to take care of it. A healthier Earth means healthier people! Right now, I feel we are doing what we can do to help make the Earth a nice place to live. And sometimes things fluctuate and flow in and out of the priority list. I don't think everyone can or should do everything we do. I feel in some cases that it is just not possible. I do think we could all do something though, and some things are easy. One little thing done by each person will make a difference.
Here are some things that I am excited about that we are doing. Seriously, I'm excited, and Seth usually just laughs at how much I love it, but that makes it all the more fun, and I am so thankful that he does these things along with me. Under our counter we have 3 small waste bins (one is actually made of a cardboard soymilk box) One for compost, one for recycling and one for compost - I love to see what we can use for compost to help our garden grow or that can be recycled into something new instead of adding to a landfill.
Here are some more ideas of things that you could try to make the Earth healthier:
- Reuse paper that has a blank side as scratch paper
- Shred non-glossy paper and newspaper and use that for compost
- Buy food items in bulk so there is less packaging
- Turn lights of in your house that you aren't using
- Turn the water off while you brush your teeth or soap up in the shower
- Keep your house 1 degree cooler in the winter, and 1 degree warmer in the summer
- Cloth napkins and rags instead of paper products (just throw them in with the wash when you do laundry)
- Walk or bike to nearby destinations instead of driving
- Eat one meal a week with no meat or dairy products (or eat less than you normally would.) The meat and dairy industry contributes 18% of the world's pollution. The transportation industry contributes only 15%. I was shocked when I learned that!
- Buy something organically and or locally grown
Happy Earth Day!