Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Earth Day!

Picture from www.solar1.org
Today is Earth Day. What does this mean? I have never 'celebrated' Earth Day before. I haven't really ever noticed it before, but today I did. My husband jokingly asked me, when I told him it was Earth Day, "Isn't that a holiday for hippies?" He always tries to push my buttons by making references to hippies and 'going off the grid' sometimes when I mention things that are environmentally friendly and a more natural way of living. But, if caring about the Earth, this planet, this home that God has made for us to live on, enjoy and care for, if that makes me a hippie, then so be it.

I am thankful for this Earth, and I want to do my part to take care of it. A healthier Earth means healthier people! Right now, I feel we are doing what we can do to help make the Earth a nice place to live. And sometimes things fluctuate and flow in and out of the priority list. I don't think everyone can or should do everything we do. I feel in some cases that it is just not possible. I do think we could all do something though, and some things are easy. One little thing done by each person will make a difference.

Here are some things that I am excited about that we are doing. Seriously, I'm excited, and Seth usually just laughs at how much I love it, but that makes it all the more fun, and I am so thankful that he does these things along with me. Under our counter we have 3 small waste bins (one is actually made of a cardboard soymilk box) One for compost, one for recycling and one for compost - I love to see what we can use for compost to help our garden grow or that can be recycled into something new instead of adding to a landfill.

Here are some more ideas of things that you could try to make the Earth healthier:

  • Compost
  • Recycle
  • Reuse paper that has a blank side as scratch paper
  • Shred non-glossy paper and newspaper and use that for compost
  • Buy food items in bulk so there is less packaging
  • Turn lights of in your house that you aren't using
  • Turn the water off while you brush your teeth or soap up in the shower
  • Keep your house 1 degree cooler in the winter, and 1 degree warmer in the summer
  • Cloth napkins and rags instead of paper products (just throw them in with the wash when you do laundry)
  • Walk or bike to nearby destinations instead of driving
  • Eat one meal a week with no meat or dairy products (or eat less than you normally would.) The meat and dairy industry contributes 18% of the world's pollution. The transportation industry contributes only 15%. I was shocked when I learned that!
  • Buy something organically and or locally grown
Happy Earth Day!

No comments: