Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

"ChickenPea" Salad Wraps






Chicken Salad Sandwiches is an American staple. Something you can always turn to when you're hosting a get together, or on a hot summer's day. So I really wanted to make over this wonderful dish in a colorful healthful way. Chickpeas (or Garbanzo Beans, but Chickpeas sounds like so much more fun!) are my favorite bean. Yes, I love them, and I do think they are the most like chicken, and I think I even like them now more than chicken, believe it or not. I don't want to boast, but I just have to be honest, this dish is AMAZING! A winner on the first try. It will definitely be a staple in the Wagner household from here on out :)










"ChickenPea" Salad Wraps

Ingredients:
- 2 14oz. cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 granny smith apple - or any apple (finely diced)
- 1.5 c. carrots (finely diced)
- 3 stalks celery (finely diced)
- 1/8 c. onion (finely diced)
- 1-2 avocados (diced)
- 2/3 c. craisins (or halved grapes)
- 1 Tb. spicy brown mustard
- 2-3 Tb. lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 c. Veganaise (or light mayonaise)
- 1/4 tsp. dried dill
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1/3 c. chopped dill pickles (optional)
- tomato (optional)
- chopped pecans (or your favorite nut)(optional)
Instructions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl(except lettuce, tomato and nuts). 
2. Chill for 30 min. if desired (or if you can wait that long!)
3. Serve in large leaves of Romaine lettuce; garnish with tomato and nuts if desired)

2 comments:

Brittney said...

Had this for dinner last night. It was good! Thanks for the recipe!

Emily said...

We tried this during the week for dinner one night. We all loved it and I had too many servings. We added some bow tie pasta and spinach. I'm lovin' these recipes. This week will be the garlic quinoa and lentils. Thanks for sharing!

Em C.