Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Better than Ever Black Beans and Rice a 30 Minute Meal!

I really learned how to cook after we got married when we were in college by... watching FoodNetwork. Yes, the hours I spent learning from Giada and Rachel Ray were truly beneficial. Although I don't eat many of their ingredients in my cooking anymore, I still admire their abilities and appreciate their skill in teaching the average person (me) how to cook. I especially loved Rachel's show, "30 Minute Meals." I've learned in my food/nutrition journey that in cooking from scratch with whole food, plant based ingredients, 30 minute meals are hard to come by. So, I am proud to announce, that I have come up with a healthful 30 minute meal!! Enjoy!

Ingredients
- 2 diced onions
- 3 cans black beans (including liquid - DO NOT drain)
- Optional: 1/2 cup ham for added flavor
- Optional: 1-2 cups diced mushrooms
- Optional: 1 small can green chiles
- 2 Tb garlic
- 2 Tb Soy Sauce
- 1 Tb Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tb apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tb oregano
- 2 Tb nutritional yeast - from the bulk section of health food store (great plant based source of B vitamins)
- 2 Tb lemon juice
- fresh cracked pepper 
(There is enough salt in the beans and soy sauce, so I don't add any)

(Cook 2 cups of rice (or another grain) in a rice cooker with as much water as needed, we love sweet brown rice - from the bulk section of health food store)

Directions
1. Start cooking the rice in the rice cooker (allow extra time for brown rice)
2. Add onions to a large, deep pan and saute on medium high heat(adding 1 Tb. water at a time to keep them from sticking) until they start to be translucent.
3. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer, and simmer until rice is ready.

Tips:
- While the beans simmer, and the rice cooks, you have time to make a quick green salad, and voila! You'll have dinner on the table in 30 minutes!

Sorry folks. No Pictures yet. I'll take some the next time I make it, which will probably be soon. I don't know if Seth has ever raved about any dinner I have made more than this one :)

No comments: