PB and Strawberry Banana 'Milk'shake
Makes about 30oz. or 4.5 cups
- 1.5 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 ripe frozen banana
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (or almond butter or 1/4 c. raw pecans)
- 1-2 Tb. pure maple syrup (or honey or agave)
- 1.5 cups or 12 oz. almond milk (or soy milk)
1. Blend all ingredients in high powered blender (Vitamix's are the best!!!)
1. You don't really need to measure everything in the recipe unless you want to. As Rachael Ray says, "I just eyeball it."
2. I usually make a milkshake similar to this for John (obviously not this much) instead of giving him whole milk. Almond milk has 50% more calcium than dairy milk (is also fortified with Vit. D) and your body can digest it better. You pump up the calories and protein with the nut butter, and I occasionally use soy milk to pump up the calories and protein even more!
3. I am careful about not using a ton of soy milk all the time. It's good to trade off. Soy contains phytoestrogens that can sometimes mix up male hormones if consumed in very large quantities (and I mean a large daily amount), but we want to play it safe and reap the benefits but not any side effects.